Solstice Racing. Sign ups are now open for the new seasons!

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Donate

Please donate to make sure things keep running here.
Like our page
Our Partners

Share | 

General Politics Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake_Ace
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

Number of posts : 2800
Registration date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 am

it seems like this whole thing has exploded in support in the past few days, most of my school is talking about this today, I can't believe this has been going on for 26 years. Makes me sick when all the GOP candidates talk about is "pro creation" bullshit when this is going on. Its not just this either, there's a lot more shit that's happening in the world right now that is just as bad.

Solstice Racing Winter Proline Truck Series Season 10 Champion
Solstice Racing Proline Cup Series Season 3 Champion
VSR Nationwide Series Season 1 Champion
VSR Winston Cup Series Champion
Solstice Racing ASA Indycar Series Oval Champion
Solstice Racing Road of Champions Class B Champion

64 NR2003 League Race wins
Latest: 11/16/14 OSW SNC @ Phoenix
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4388
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 am

I would warn you not to donate money to the Invisible Children Foundation, after looking into them a bit more they only give 30% of the money to the people of Uganda.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

AF: 4-3 DEN: 4-3 PIT: 3-3

Online Career:
Top 5's: 279
Top 10's: 426
Poles: 29
Wins: 81
Championships: 6
iRacing wins: 21
11/6
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://solsticeracing.forumotion.net
bakes991
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4497

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 am

I don't have money to donate, but if they actually do what they say they do, then I support their efforts.

As long as the government sees that people do care about these kids and taking down that bastard, then let's do it!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

Number of posts : 2174
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:58 am

My high school worked closely with this organisation. They even had them come visit atleast once or twice a year. I dont think they are bad, they do a lot of expenses because they send a lot of stuff, and I believe a lot of people over there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 am

I'm glad they are taking part in the effort in a big way. I don't think they are bad either. I just personally think its a bit of a waste to donate money to them just for the Uganda people, donating money to their effort to put this piece of scum in jail isn't a bad idea though.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:15 am

But then the other side of me comes out in this debate. Joseph Kony has been doing this for 26 years. He is not the only doing these horrible crimes. I am seeing posts like "we need to bomb him" and "lets send our troops in to get him"...Well...We've seen how that works out when we intervene. It usually makes things worse. If we take out Kony..Who takes his place? Do we have the money to be involved in this as well? Why was the Facebook group that points out flaws invisible children blocked since yesterday, only just unblocked by Facebook?

I knew this organisation very well...The first thing I thought when I saw this video is "this cant be the same invisible children." It didn't seem like the same essentially missionary group that mainly sends care boxes to Africa that I heard from for 4 years in high school..This just smells fishy to me...We do need military intervention in Uganda. We do not need it anywhere..If Invisible Children wants to do something..Fine...But whats happening..And I see it everywhere (The Kony day thing has 100 people signed up just in my town), kids mainly 8th graders and high schoolers are getting all gung-ho and saying we need to send our military in and go get him...Whether thats the message they wanted out or not..Im seeing over and over over and over again thats whats getting spread. I've heard talk of Joseph Kony for atleast 4 years..and nobody cares..I've seen things about him posted on Facebook..Nobody cared..And all of a sudden in 24 hours this huge uproar has gone viral on almost everyone that has a Facebook page?

I've found this post closer to what I agree with.

Quote :

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on funding African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.” He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

As Christ Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children supports military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 am

I personally see this as raising awareness towards him, and other people who do this in Africa in general. It's pretty obvious hes not the only one doing stuff like this, but why not take at least one of the bigger ones out of the equation? Of course someone is going to take the top spot after he is captured. If there is enough support to do so, go down the list of other people who do the same crimes.

The people who are saying we should bomb them and send out a shiton of troops are just ignorant on things like this. We do not need to send out massive amounts of troops to do this, and I seriously doubt this would require a ton of money to do it either, unless the US government wanted to go into full retardation mode. Currently though, most of the sheeple here are going to take the original message of awareness the wrong way.

I agree with you or whoever wrote that post, that it is not going to solve anything plastering posters and such around city's, especially the ones shown in the video comparing him to the likes of Hitler and Osama. Hes a POS, but he doesn't come close to those two. A lot of the things in that little movie were pretty far fetched which I'm sure was the original intention to get Americans riled up about it.

I support the arrest of Joseph Kony and making him famous, but I don't like the initial notions of KONY 2012. That Invisible Children Foundation seemed very shady when I did some background research on them, which is why I said above I would rather donate to something different.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 am

Yea, and im a little concerned about them calling people to plaster their towns with Kony things at night..I see 100 people commited to doing in my town alone and it is technically illegal, and I can see many of those people getting caught on vandalism charges thinking they are doing something for a good cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:38 am

And..Of course...In more we're screwed news..The other congressman I trusted is out after somehow losing his primary in Ohio. Dennis Kucinich, who is seen as the Ron Paul of the Democrat party is out of congress..This takes the number of people I trusted in congress from 2 to 0. He, like Paul has been saying the same thing for many years and actually wasn't bought.

Of course its right after this:

Then again...3rd party ticket Paul-Kucinich 2012.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheShermanator
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2395
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 am

Just want to say something about this, Kony 2012 thing.

Ok, so if you went and watched the 30 minute video, and then went and actually did your own research on the topic, become informed on the subject, good for you then. My problem with this video is that now there are probably millions who haven't watched it, but they will only support it because of what they're friends say about it on facebook.

It's also pretty scary to think that somebody, who with absolutely zero prior knowledge on the subject, can watch one 30 minute video without any external sources and just accept it as complete truth. It's a propaganda setup. Obviously, I'm not saying that this guy isn't doing what the video is saying he's done. I understand he very likely has, and it's entirely wrong, and he deserves to be punished.

But for something that has been going on for 26 years, without so much as a single mention in that period of time, even when the entire world had their attention turned on Africa two years ago during the World Cup. That would have been the perfect time to try to raise awareness. It hardly seems worth the time. One person. This is going on throughout the entire country of Africa. Taking out one person won't stop that, and the US should hardly be sparing their resources on something like this when there are things that need more immediate attention here at home.

As I've seen it said several times. Support it because it's the right thing to do and you truly believe in it. Not because somebody said to do it on the internet.

This is a fad, and it will be forgotten in the next months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:03 am

Here is another great crowd for Ron Paul today in Missouri.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bakes991
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:08 am

And about 5% of those votes will actually be counted towards him

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lonewolf2864
ARCA Driver
ARCA Driver

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:12 am

I voted for Ron here in Bama on Tuesday ... not that it mattered lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckeye24
USAR Late Model Racer
USAR Late Model Racer

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-12-06

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 am

You can't tell me Ron Paul has all of these supporters and he's not even getting 10% in most states. I honestly believe this election is rigged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djman14
Street Stock Racer
Street Stock Racer

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-03-06

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:10 am

lol. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bakes991
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:19 am

Buckeye24 wrote:
You can't tell me Ron Paul has all of these supporters and he's not even getting 10% in most states. I honestly believe this election is rigged.

No shit... they all are...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 am

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
bakes991
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 am

Apparently the maker of the Kony 2012 video was detained for being drunk and masterbating in public...

Welp... lmao

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:00 am

The chick who played Forman's sister in That 70s Show got arrested again lolol.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/31/that-70s-show-arrested-lisa-robin-kelly/#.T3s6edUkbpI

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
bakes991
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 am

The years since that show have not been good to her D:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:18 am

Wait, why did this end up in this thread?

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
bakes991
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 am

Fial.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
trbfan
Solstice Legend
Solstice Legend

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 am

I entirely give up...

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caleb Paul
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 am

Wow... thats pathetic as hell.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon #77

3X Retro Series Champion
2X ROC Champion
2X ASA Champion
1X RIROC Champion

Online Career:
11/6
Back to top Go down
Chin
Server Manager
Server Manager

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 am

Do you think the Arizona House of Representatives is actually composed of butthurt noobs banned from 4chan.

PostSubject: Re: General Politics Thread   

Back to top Go down

General Politics Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next